As a mom and small business owner, I know first-hand how challenging it is to manage work, kids, home, and everything else life throws at you. My son is seven and some things are easier now than when he was three, but we have to adjust to changes at every age.
Most would believe it’s all about managing your time and I do agree, but paying attention to your children and family is what will truly make a difference.
So, how does a working Mom put family first? Here are some of my tips to putting your family first when it counts:
- Try as much as possible to schedule work hours during school hours and after your child goes to bed. If you need to work in the evenings, decide if it’s going to be 1, 2 or 3 nights of the week. (Notice how I didn’t say 4, 5, 6 or 7…) Family time is not just kid time; it’s also husband time, visiting relatives, celebrating birthdays, personal time etc.
- In one of my latest blog posts, I mentioned keeping a really good calendar. This is essential to managing your time! Always take a few minutes every day to review your day and your week.
- During homework time, turn OFF your phone and put it where you can’t see it – in a cupboard or drawer is ideal. Even if the volume is off, the constant screen lighting up will surely distract everyone.
- Commit to not answering emails or messages at any family event.
- Dinner time is dinner time. No TV or electronics at the table. Same goes for restaurants.
- Sleeping is important for energy so no reading the news or surfing in bed. (I admit I’m guilty of this but I’m getting better! ;))
- Use a separate alarm clock. That means not using the one on your phone.
- A friend of mine has two smartphones. It’s brilliant! One for work and one for personal. Not everyone can afford to do this, but if you can, turn off the work phone during non-working hours.
- Schedule regular date nights with your husband or a night out with friends. All working Moms need a break! And even a scheduled break is still a break. :)
It’s not always easy, but I hope some of these tips will help if you’re a busy working Mom. Do you have any other great tips to add? I would love hear some of them so feel free to comment below!