With the slew of lists, blogs and websites out there about baby names, it won’t be hard to make an initial list. Many parents-to-be already have names they love but for those that don’t, it could take time. My best advice is to start as early as possible.
Last year, I started a blog post series about the names on my banners. I love my name series because it allows me to connect with the experiences of my customers and their story.
So first thing to do with your partner is make a list of your top boys’ and girls’ names. I’ll be listing some great sites below to help you with your list. Also, get family and friends involved! It’s such a fun time and people love to be part of your story.
Here are some things to think about when choosing your new baby’s name:
- Will your child be named after a parent or grandparent?
- Do you love a celebrity and would love to call your child that name?
- What initials will they have?
- Does your religion have special names that mean something to you?
- Will your child be a ‘junior’? Example Joe Junior.
- Will you be choosing a middle name? Perhaps a grandparent’s name? Or another name that’s special to you?
- What does the name mean? How do you pronounce it?
- What are potential nicknames? For example my son is Matteo John so he can be Matt, MJ or Matty.
- We’ve seen celebrities name their kids Apple, North, Blue etc. Do these inspire you to choose a different type of name?
- If you do choose an unusual name, make sure it’s legal in your country.
Here are some great sites to look up baby names:
- Baby Names
- Today's Parent Baby Names
- Names Names Names! Knock Knock Banners Pinterest Board
- Baby Center - Baby Names
- Nameberry Baby Names
- She Knows Baby Names
- The Bump Baby Names
- What To Expect Celebrity Baby Names
- Baby Center - Unusual Baby Names
- Babble - Exotic and Unusual Baby Names
Did you find your child’s name through a website? Did you name your child after a family member? What about a celebrity? I would love to hear how you found yours. Feel free to comment below.